A rainwater tank is just a simple tank used to collect and store the rainwater. The water obtained from rain can be used to do many household tasks like washing clothes, watering the garden and washing the home and many other things. In a rainwater tank, water is usually collected with the help of pipes and gutters. In rural Australia, almost every home has its own rainwater tank which they use to store rainwater. The water is usually collected from roof. The pipes and gutters attached with the walls direct the water into tank.
Advantages of a rainwater tank:
- The water collected in a rainwater tank can be used to flush your toilets.
- These tanks come in a variety of shapes and sizes, so they can be easily adjusted in any home, whatever the size and shape of the home.
- They reduce the daily water consumption, thus help maintain the water level under the Earth crust.
- This rainwater can be used for your animals as well, like you can use it for your sheep, cows and horses.
- It can also be used to irrigate your garden area.
- This water can really be used for drinking purposes; however, necessary safety measures should be made.
- The Department of Health does not allow using this water for human drinking.
- It can be directly attached with your washing machine to wash your clothes.
How to install a rainwater tank:
In an order to install this water tank in your home, you will need to contact a professional plumber who knows this work well. The plumber you contact for this job must contain a contractor license. He should be aware of all the requirements needed to install. After the installation, he will contact the local water board and inform about the installation.
The cost associated with installation:
Generally speaking, it depends upon the material used and the size. A rainwater tank can be made of a number of materials like metal, concrete, fiberglass and polythene. Cost of delivery and installation will also be included in the final price. You select the tank on the basis of the area of your roof and yard. The number of people living in the house will also be taken into account.
There have been many companies that deal in rainwater tanks and you can order them to prepare one for you. They take complete responsibility from preparing to installation. Not every company provides the installation facility, but some companies that have contracts with different plumbers provide this facility as well.